Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tennis

I grew up playing in the clay courts in Mansoura in one of the sports club. My life back then revolved around tennis. All my friends were the kids I played tennis with and hung out with waiting for courts to empty out. Because we were at the bottom of the totem pole at the courts, the only way we'd get a tennis court is if we were the first to come in - usually around 3 pm - usually in the smoldering heat - but we didn't care. We'd have the courts for an hour before the old geezers (el rowad) would come in and take over the courts till it got dark. We'd keep pestering 3am Ashraf, the court manager, until he'd finally let us play again. Me and my friends would play l0cal tournaments. Me and two other kids would always place the same - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - me always being in 3rd, but I still loved it. We'd travel to Cairo and Alexandria to play the bigger tournaments and we'd get chewed out in the first round by the rich kids from the big clubs like el Ahly and Sporting who had bags full of racquets and personal coaches in the cheering section - we still loved it. It was a blast. I'd play all througout the summer and during the school year my mom would allow one day. Just one day! That day was the only thing that kept me going during the long 6 day school week back then, and man was it sweet ! I'd come home running, eat a quick snack, pester my mom for 5 pounds, and go catch a microbus to the club. Those 5 pounds had to last me the whole day. I'd ride a microbus both ways ( 0.40 pounds), spend 3 pounds for court rental, and grab something to eat from the supermarket on the way back. Those were some sweet days.

1 comment:

Rain_Drops said...

imagine that i also played Tennis (for the first time in my life) last week in the University Stadium in our lovely city Mansoura